Dr. Thornburg Wellness Original Content Written By Dr. Cade Copeland
Taking a vacation is something many hard-working parents simply don’t do as frequently as they should.
You worked hard around the clock cooking, cleaning, acting as a chauffeur, folding the laundry and being a not-so-digital version of the assistant Siri and have now accumulated some much needed “paid time off.” Let’s make sure that special trip to Mazatlan with the in-laws doesn’t come with any unexpected side effects for you or the kiddos in the form of dreaded diarrhea!
Here is our list of the Top 5 Travel Essentials;
1. Probiotics – good bacteria never goes out of style! As we learn more about bacteria, research is pointing to gut health as the top indicator for mood stability, mental performance, sleeping patterns and immune health. Dosing up on your probiotics in prep for travel can act as armor for contagious coughs and colds, resistance to viral infections and parasites and may even help give your skin some extra glow for those family photos! Check out our store for trusted probiotics designed to optimize every stage of life.
2. Vitamin C and D – unlike most other animals, humans cannot make vitamin C and therefore must get it from our diet. Vitamin D on the other hand should take it’s official title as a hormone instead of just a vitamin, it really is that important! Taking an extra boost of these two will undoubtedly inspire your system to superhuman status during periods of higher stress, mediocre sleep and less than ideal meal choices that typically occur during travel.
3. Topical Magnesium Oil – crucial in over 300 bio-mechanical reactions in the body, magnesium helps to provide a relaxing and soothing calm to a stressed mind and body. We prefer the topical route because it hits the bloodstream much quicker than an oral supplement. Topical magnesium also bypasses the gut so it shouldn’t cause any problems there for you or your kiddos. Simply apply to the bottom of feet before bed or on any stiff or sore muscles throughout the day; don’t worry about using too much, your body will say thank you!
4. Thieves Hand Spray – while we don’t normally advocate for “anti-bacterial” types of products, this one does it right. While many other products out there have potent ingredients that do more harm than good, this hand spray contains only naturally-derived essential oils and carriers that work with the body and not against it. Whether you need it for the gas station bathroom or the headliner on the airplane, don’t leave home without it. If you’re the DIY type, Wellness Mama has you covered with this simple recipe.
5. Activated Charcoal – this one carries some serious bio-hacking potential! Save some in your emergency kit as it protects against poor food choices and can even act as a lifesaving hangover cure. While it doesn’t negatively affect gut bacteria, it adsorbs pretty much anything else in the tummy, so don’t take within 90 minutes of good food choices, other supplements or prescribed medications. Charcoal sourced from the hull of coconuts is the purest form. Capsules can be opened and poured into water or juice for the little ones and even used topically to soak up any unwanted toxic exposure on the skin.
We hope your travels are full of fun and laughter, pictures worthy of being framed and memories to last a lifetime. Dr. Thornburg Wellness is honored to give you confidence for your family’s health and we appreciate you being a part of our mission of Bringing Healthcare Home. We invite you to check back with us in the weeks ahead as we launch a new store with great products that support generational health and wellness.
More About the Author: