Doctors believe they’ve identified as many as 25 California children suffering from a mysterious, polio-like virus capable of paralyzing limbs. The best-case scenario is complete loss of one limb, the worst is all four limbs, with respiratory insufficiency, as well. The median age of those stricken is 12.
Parents should not panic. This is really very rare and is isolated to California. The CDC is watching closely but has not become involved yet.
The question in my mind is why has a rare virus affected these children and not affected adults – if this really is being caused by a virus.
Here are the facts as reported by the media. The cause of most of these cases is not known. Some clinical and laboratory features, such as the pattern of inflammation seen in the spinal cord on MRI, are consistent with a viral process. Samples from two of the children tested positive for enterovirus 68, a rare virus that has been linked to severe respiratory illness in the past.
The medical histories on these children are not available so I cannot look for pre-existing conditions to explain their vulnerabilities. I can look to common sense though to shed practical light on this situation and to allay fears all parents must be having.
Assuming these were/are healthy children then they developed this condition as a result of a vulnerability to this bug while most people are not and/or they built up toxins that resulted in a neurological condition.
Here are some reasons that could make once susceptible:
1. They had an innate genetic vulnerability; and/or
2. They had a genetic mutation occur as a result of generational toxin exposure from living in a modern world; and/or
3. They had a genetic mutation occur as a result of the radiation from Fukushima melt down; and/or
4. They were unable to detoxify and eliminate these toxins because of genetics; and/or
5. They were unable to detoxify and eliminate these toxins because of poor diets and/or inadequate supplementation; and/or
6. They had a weakened immune system from environmental toxins such as pesticides, poor diet, poor supplementation, Japanese radiation, dysbiosis from previous antibiotic use, among others.
My point here is we live in a toxic soup and our bodies need help to maintain proper and healthy functioning.
- Eat organic to limit toxic exposure,
- Diet with plenty of phytonutrients to assist mitochondrial, antioxidant and detoxification functions,
- Limit carbs, gluten, dairy and animal fats,
- Clean out the gut and restore balance of proper probiotics and microbiome since this is the major detox and immune pathway of the body,
- Educate yourself on a functional body,
- Sleep for 7-9 hours a night with a regular bedtime,
- Health relationships and a strong sense of community, and
- Good fish oils to protect cell membranes and reduce inflammation.
Unusual illnesses like the one devastating children in California may be the result of our lifestyles, genetics and understanding of the body. Sometimes infections and disease are unavoidable but stack the odds in your favor. Find a doctor that will help you heal by addressing the missteps in biological and physiological functions at their root causes rather than throwing antibiotics and immune suppressants to cover symptoms from occurring.
It is hard to change your food culture, but if you want to keep your family safe then this must be addressed. The idea of eating and living in unhealthy ways because it feels good or because this is your family culture, only to seek a symptom-control approach once the body starts to break down is crazy thinking. Sadly this is the prevailing approach in this country and around the world. Fight your temptations to slothfulness and gluttony. Chronic disease and vulnerability to illness can be largely prevented. You make this decision by the small daily decisions on how you choose to personalize your life.